[cfe-dev] Static analysis tool development

Zhongxing Xu xuzhongxing at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:00:40 PST 2009

Hi Monty, Ben,

Ted has given a detailed overview and long-term plan for the static analyzer
of clang. I'll list some short-term goals of mine.

1. Consolidate the current implementation by running the analyzer on various
code. There is a script called scan-build that can help integrate clang into
the build process of target projects.

2. I am also writing a libc wrapper that enables us to capture the build
process better. Basically we could wrap various exec() system calls and
record the whole build process. Then we could replay it in various ways.

3. Finish AST serialization. This is the first step toward the whole program
analysis.

Also there are some aspacts of the analyzer that can be worked on
independently.

1. Develop a new ConstraintManager. This could be based on basic range
analysis, a SAT solver, or an SMT solver.

2. Add specific checkers to the engine.

-Zhongxing