[cfe-dev] make update not updating clang svn?

George King gwk.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:53:47 PST 2009

Hi list,

According to http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html:

You can update your toplevel LLVM project and all (possibly unrelated) projects inside it with make update. This will run svn update on all subdirectories related to subversion.

However after following the check out instructions, I observed the following behavior:

gk ~/external/llvm > make update
svn  update /Users/gk/external/llvm
U    /Users/gk/external/llvm/test/CodeGen/X86/break-sse-dep.ll
... (more U ... lines)
Updated to revision 91929.

gk ~/external/llvm > cd tools/clang
gk ~/external/llvm/tools/clang > svn update
U    test/Lexer/char-escapes.c
... (many more U ... lines)
Updated to revision 91930.

gk ~/external/llvm/tools/clang > cd ../..
gk ~/external/llvm > svn update
At revision 91930.

'make update' did not appear to run 'svn update' for the tools/clang directory. Otherwise I would see "svn update /Users/gk/external/llvm/tools/clang" output, right? I realize that this looks a little ambiguous because of the revision numbers 91929 and 91930, but I don't think that's the issue; there were hundreds of files updated in the clang tree, which I doubt were committed in the interim between commands.

Does 'make update' work as advertised for others?

Thank you,

George