[cfe-dev] clang-cc is gone

John Thompson john.thompson.jtsoftware at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:43:43 PST 2009

So to use the old clang-cc options, you use the -cc1 option?  I.e.:

clang-cc -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c

becomes:

clang -cc1 -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c
If so, you probably want to fix the --help option to show "-cc1", or
otherwise indicate how it is done.  Otherwise the only clue is the -Xclang
option, which I couldn't get to work.

Use:

clang -cc1 --help

to get the old options.

Are we moving to make the driver recognize the clang-cc options, or at least
those for which it makes sense?

The tests still seem to work, even though I removed clang-cc.exe.  Is the
test driver translating the clang-cc run lines?

The user guide could use some work to be more complete and formatted more
clearly with respect to the options.  If it's on no one's plate, I'd be
happy to help with that, once things are settled.

-John

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:

> (resending for visibility beyond cfe-commits)
>
> clang-cc has been removed, for sanity you should probably remove any
> copies you find lying around in your development trees. It has been
> replaced by 'clang -cc1', so both tools are in a single executable.
>
> clang (the driver) still calls clang -cc1 (the frontend) during
> compilation, so don't expect gdb/shark on clang to work differently,
> yet.
>
>  - Daniel

John Thompson
John.Thompson.JTSoftware at gmail.com