[cfe-dev] Target specific semantic checking.

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Thu Aug 20 23:40:22 PDT 2009

Hello, Sanjiv

> I wanted to issue an error (for pic16) when a function marked as ISR has
> any params.
Once we talked with Chris a bit about semantic checks of
target-specific attributes. For example, currently all stuff for
windows-specific dll* are made in the generic code which is not good.
Same applies here, for example, some targets might want to do
different things with ISRs.

It turned out that proper way of doing such stuff is some 'attribute
registering' mechanism - when you can inform the frontend about new
attribute and provide special functions to do semantic checks and
codegening for this attribute. This would allow easy add of new
target-specific attribute without putting the code into generic
routines.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov