[cfe-dev] Feature proposal: adding optional custom info to clang AST nodes.

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Sat Aug 15 08:46:12 PDT 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 6:57 AM, Enea Zaffanella wrote:
> The basic idea is to have a new header file defining a suitable macro
> (e.g., CLANG_CLIENT_CUSTOM_INFO): the name of the header file will be
> fixed, but its content will be controlled by a clang configuration
> option. All the root classes for AST nodes (i.e., Decl, Stmt, Type)
> will
> include such a header file and will invoke the macro in their public
> section.

I too don't think you should go that direction.  Imagine you have
clang libraries on the system as shared libraries used by 20 tools.
Do we want 20 copies of them or just 1.  That answer is just 1.  To do
that, each app that uses clang has to do so with the same unmodified
clang.  So, so achieve this, you'd want a hash or a map on the side
and put your data in it.