[cfe-dev] Better type-specifier representation

Argiris Kirtzidis akyrtzi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:38:26 PDT 2008

Here's a proposal, collecting the arguments into one post:

Modifying Type to better represent 'type-specifier' in the syntax:

As Ted mentioned, there's a problem on how we represent struct
declarations inside type-specifiers:

Example:

void f() {
   typedef struct x { int y; } foo;  // #1
}

Syntactically this is what we have for #1:

typedef struct x { int y; } foo; -> 'typedef' type-specifier 'foo' ';'

and we treat it as: 'typedef' ['struct x' reference] 'foo' ';'

There's no information that 'struct x' is defined inside the typedef
declaration. Also it's not clear who owns the RecordDecl.
I suggest that we treat it as:
'typedef' ['struct x' definition] 'foo' ';'
resulting in a RecordTypeDef Type for the TypedefDecl. This gives us the
information that we have a 'struct x' definition inside the
type-specifier of #1.

What about ownership of RecordDecl ?

There will be a 1-to-1 mapping between RecordTypes and RecordDecls,

struct x;  -> A new incomplete RecordDecl is created here.
struct x {};  -> The previously created RecordDecl is fully defined.

and RecordType will own it. What is the advantage of that ? Ownership
matters when a client wants to modify the AST. When the client says "I
want to replace this RecordDecl with another one" it usually means
"Everywhere in this translation unit, if a Type references this
RecordDecl, I want it to reference this RecordDecl instead.". The client
will accomplish this by replacing the one RecordDecl owned by the
RecordType with another one.
The alternative would be replacing all the RecordDecls (forward decls
and defs) present, *and* replacing the RecordDecl that the RecordType