[cfe-dev] Performance Numbers

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Fri Oct 31 18:24:41 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I have spent some time this week gathering detailed performance numbers on
the compile time of both clang and llvm-gcc compared to gcc on two
benchmarks, the Objective-C sample application Sketch and 176.gcc from SPEC
INT 2000.

These numbers highlight some areas where we are can probably gain
performance in Clang. For example, our LLVM IR generation is substantially
slower than llvm-gcc's (which should be doing a similar amount of work).
Additionally, it is clear that we still have some work to do if we intend to
match gcc's precompiled header performance.

If you are interested, check it out at
http://clang.llvm.org/performance.html

Feedback appreciated!

- Daniel