[cfe-dev] CLANG and C++ function overloading

Doug Gregor doug.gregor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:27:41 PDT 2008

Hi Mike,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Michael J Viste
<mjviste at ra.rockwell.com> wrote:
> I understand that C++ support by CLANG is in progress while that for C is
> quite mature.

Right, we're just starting C++ support in Clang, so it will be a while
before it is usable.

> Please advise whether or not CLANG supports C++ function
> overloading at this time and if there are any limitations with it. If
> affirmative, please also supply release number as I presume I could use it
> by simply building a particular version of CLANG. If not yet fully
> implemented an estimate of when it might be available would be greatly
> appreciated. Can't wait to check it out.

As Sebastian noted, the support for C++ function overloading is not
yet usable. We're missing user-defined conversions and reference
binding (semantic issues) and we don't have name mangling, so you
can't yet write a program that uses function overloading.

Regarding timelines, I can't say much. I expect we'll have most of the
remaining semantics of function overloading implemented within a
month, but name mangling (and other code-generation issues) are a bit
further off.

  - Doug