[cfe-dev] Should we build semantically invalid nodes?

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Sat Oct 25 10:28:49 PDT 2008

On Oct 25, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Argiris Kirtzidis wrote:

> Hey Steve, breaking up Sema is a ridiculous awesome idea!

Sounds like I struck a chord:-)

> Here's a thought I'd like to throw around..
> Could there be something like "composable Actions" ? The ASTBuilder
> would build the AST while Sema would do semantic checks and reject
> invalid nodes.
> This will cleanly separate the semantic checks from the AST building
> and, as you said, will make the code more maintainable.

Composable Actions is an idea I've always wanted to experiment with
(but haven't had a compelling reason to do so). If what you are
thinking of sounds compelling, then it might be a good place to
experiment.

At this point, it's unclear if the semantics checks can always be
separated from the AST.

Are you certain the current AST's are appropriate for what you
envision doing?

snaroff