[cfe-dev] Should we build semantically invalid nodes?

Argiris Kirtzidis akyrtzi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 01:21:32 PDT 2008

Here's an alternative idea:
How about we pass a flag at Sema to indicate that Sema should just build
the AST without semantic checks ?

The meaning of this flag is not that it guarantees that *absolutely no*
semantic checks are done, just that the focus is less on semantics and
more on getting a complete AST.
The Action methods could be modified gradually to check this flag, eg.
on Sebastian's patch, if this flag is on, Sema::ActOnCXXCasts will skip
the CheckXXXCast call and go to creating the CXXCastExpr directly.

This addresses Doug's concerns about allowing invalid nodes while also
enabling clients that only care about a full AST.

Any thoughts ?

-Argiris