[cfe-dev] PATCH: C++ Function Overloading (v2)

Argiris Kirtzidis akyrtzi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:35:55 PDT 2008

Hi Doug,

I recently thought about overload resolution again and I have some
questions.
While I understand the necessity of the OverloadType, is
OverloadedFunctionDecl really necessary ?

It seems to me that overload resolution is part of semantic analysis
(the Sema), and OverloadedFunctionDecl is like implementation details of
Sema "leaking" into the AST.
OverloadedFunctionDecl will primarily be used by Sema, and expressions
referencing it will get replaced and resolved to one FunctionDecl except
probably when the expression is part of a template.
In the case that the AST clients get an expression referencing
OverloadedFunctionDecl, it's unlikely that it will be useful to them,
without getting it resolved by the same semantic analysis as that of Sema's.

How about if a reference of overloaded function "f", results in a
OverloadExpr (with OverloadType), that contains the "f" IdentifierInfo
and a 'void*' opaque value meant to be used by Sema (or in general, the
Action implementation that created the OverloadExpr) ?
The advantage of this is that Sema has full control and flexibility over
the overload resolution mechanism, e.g. it can change it completely and
it will have no impact on the AST or the AST clients.

-Argiris