[cfe-dev] Hello

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Mon Oct 6 07:39:13 PDT 2008

Argiris Kirtzidis wrote:
> Are you suggesting that we should have identical behavior as gcc (not
> emitting an error) ?
Absolutely not! Especially since MSVC and Comeau reject it. (What does
EDG do?)
> We already have minor incompatibilities with gcc, like the scoping of
> the 'condition' declarations in selection/iteration statements and
> some cases of declaration/expression ambiguity resolution.
This incompatibility is not so minor, on the other hand. Many old C++
programs rely on incorrect for-scoping, and many compilers support this
compatibility feature.

Still, extremely low priority. As Doug says, implementing the standard
is hard enough without implementing compatibility features and compiler
quirks.

Sebastian