[cfe-dev] Dataflow analysis with LLVM/Clang

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Fri Oct 3 10:15:12 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:05 AM, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> The final product has to be instrumented C source code, that can be
> compiled with any C compiler.

Hum...  This is so old skool...  but possible.

Normally we'd try and talk you out of this, and just say, portability
to any system on which clang runs should be sufficient.

The next question is, do you want readable C code that matches the
input, or what looks like assembly code output of an optimizing
compiler translated into C?

If the former, you can use the clang rewriter.  If the later, you can
use C back end of llvm and implement your code as an llvm pass.

> The insertions has to be easily verifiable,

Hum, strikes me as weird, but, if you want that, then I'd predict you
want to go the way of the rewriter.  The output of the C backend for
lang doesn't yet contain a proof of transformation that you can easily
verify.  :-)