[cfe-dev] from source location to token?

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Nov 24 07:53:30 PST 2008

steve naroff wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> I'm not sure what you are trying to do, however here is some info...
>
> - The AST's don't currently store Tokens (they are transient), and we
> have no mechanism for associating an AST with a list/stream of Tokens.
> - The NamedDecl AST stores a DeclarationName (which is commonly an
> IdentifierInfo).
> - The DeclRefExpr AST stores a NamedDecl.
>
> You can, as you figured out, get a character stream from a
> SourceLocation (and lex/parse again).
>
> It would be interesting to know a little bit more about what you are
> doing. In general, re-lexing/re-parsing isn't very desirable (though
> it may be appropriate if it's uncommon).

Hi Steve,

there are program analyses that, for instance:

1) need to reason on an exact representation of floating-point literals
    (any approximation may result into an unsound analysis);
2) need to reason on the textual representation that was used in the
    program also for integer literals (for example, there are coding
    rules that forbid the use of octal constants: the analyzer should
    flag their use in the source program).

All the best,

    Roberto

--