[cfe-dev] c++ templates

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Thu Nov 13 15:16:52 PST 2008

Andrew Sutton wrote:

>         Attached is a very (VERY) preliminary stab at the beginning of
>         template parsing for clang. It's not complete, it doesn't do
>         anything, there's no AST stuff, I haven't even considered
>         scopes and name resolution, etc., etc. It just recognizes
>         "template <...>". I had hoped to spend some spare time, an
>         hour or so a day (whenever possible) to continue working on
>         this. Please bear in mind that a) I've never worked on a real
>         compiler before and b) I probably don't fully understand the
>         requirements of what I'm working on.

Then you're just like me when I started on Clang :-) You'll learn, but
you picked a particularly bad piece of C++ to start.

Although, parsing templates is the easy part. Parsing and expanding
their use is what's really hard.

Your code looks good for a start. Of course, there's a lot missing, but
what's there seems reasonable.

Sebastian