[cfe-dev] C++ Language Support Library

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 13:50:20 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Doug Gregor wrote:

>> What are the potential license issues of using libstdc++?  While we
>> could
>> require a different implementation, it would really be nice for
>> clang to
>> also/optionally support libstdc++.  Is there some strange wording
>> in the
>> library license?
>
> No, libsupc++ is the same license as libstdc++, which is GPL with an
> exception for software compiled with the library:
>
> // As a special exception, you may use this file as part of a free
> software
> // library without restriction.  Specifically, if other files
> instantiate
> // templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or
> you compile
> // this file and link it with other files to produce an executable,
> this
> // file does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be
> covered by
> // the GNU General Public License.  This exception does not however
> // invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be
> covered by
> // the GNU General Public License.
>
> I don't think anything prevents us from supporting libstdc++, but I'm
> guessing we don't want to use it exclusively.

Ok.  libgcc (as of GPL2 days, the GPL3 wording *still* isn't finished
yet) has strange wording that basically says "the code is GPL unless
compiled by GCC".  For a random linux distro, for example, it would be
fine to compile libstdc++ with GCC, and clang should be able to work
with it.

I think that retaining compatibility with libstdc++ would be a very
worthwhile goal (as is supporting the apache library, stlport, and/or
whatever other ones exist, where reasonable).  What is the cost of
doing this?  Does it use crazy GCC extensions that we don't want to
implement?

-Chris