[cfe-dev] handle __attribute__((deprecated))

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Mon Mar 3 09:47:55 PST 2008

On Mar 1, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Should this emit a diagnostic if it's not a function?  Ted, can you
> please review the rest of the 'HandleFormatAttribute' method?

Hi Nuno,

I've reviewed the version of HandleFormatAttribute that Chris
committed to the clang tree from your latest patch.  Thanks again for
submitting this patch.  It's a great contribution.  I have a few
comments:

   // FIXME: in C++ the implicit 'this' function parameter also counts.
   // the index must start in 1 and the limit is numargs+1
   unsigned NumArgs = Fn->getNumParams()+1; // +1 for ...

This looks incorrect for all code except non-static C++ methods, of
which we do not currently handle.  The code after this frequently
checks against NumArgs, which will be incorrect (off-by-one).  Also,
I'm not certain how we are actually going to handle declarations for
class members, but chances are we are not going to use FunctionDecls.
I would just remove the increment for now, and leave the FIXME.  When
I first looked at this code I was also a little confused; I thought
you were trying to offset for a deficiency in the AST, rather than the
fact that this is a game that the format attribute plays in GCC (i.e.,
offsetting for the implicit "this" pointer):

   "Since non-static C++ methods have an implicit this argument, the
arguments of such methods should be counted from two, not one..."

Make a comment that this is is mirroring GCC behavior when it comes to
C++ non-static methods and the format attribute.  It also seems that
offsets to the base index would have to be handled as well.  I would
just punt on this for now until we have Decls for C++ methods in
place.  I'm a little concerned about doing this right for C++ non-
static methods; having little fudges like these to indices and ranges
is a great source for off-by-one and buffer overflow errors if not all
of the code obeys the rule.  This behavior just seems like a GCC
kludge, with the ASTs being tied to closely to the implementation of
how methods are code generated (thus forcing the attribute
specification itself to be broken); in reality, the "this" pointer
would never be used as a format string, so we probably should just
pretend that it isn't there when processing the format argument
indices.  This means that in the code below your original increment of
NumArgs that we should instead *decrement* the parsed indices when
handling C++ non-static methods.  That way, the FormatAttr object
always stores the canonicalized indices for the *explicit* function
arguments (again, ignoring the "this" argument).

More comments:

   Expr *IdxExpr = static_cast<Expr *>(rawAttr->getArg(0));
   llvm::APSInt Idx(32);
   if (!IdxExpr->isIntegerConstantExpr(Idx, Context)) {
     Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_argument_n_not_int,
            "format", std::string("2"), IdxExpr->getSourceRange());
     return;
   }

Please do not hardcode "32" or the signedness of Idx, both which could
be target specific.  Please query these using
Context::getTypeSize(IdxExpr) and IdxExpr->getType()-
isUnsignedIntegerType().

For the following block, please add a big comment indicating what it
is trying to do:

   Expr *IdxExpr = static_cast<Expr *>(rawAttr->getArg(0));
   llvm::APSInt Idx(32);
   if (!IdxExpr->isIntegerConstantExpr(Idx, Context)) {
     Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_argument_n_not_int,
            "format", std::string("2"), IdxExpr->getSourceRange());
     return;
   }

   if (Idx.getZExtValue() < 1 || Idx.getZExtValue() > NumArgs) {
     Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_argument_out_of_bounds,
            "format", std::string("2"), IdxExpr->getSourceRange());
     return;
   }

   Expr *FirstArgExpr = static_cast<Expr *>(rawAttr->getArg(1));
   llvm::APSInt FirstArg(32);
   if (!FirstArgExpr->isIntegerConstantExpr(FirstArg, Context)) {
     Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_argument_n_not_int,
            "format", std::string("3"), FirstArgExpr->getSourceRange());
     return;
   }

   if (FormatLen == 8 && !memcmp(Format, "strftime", 8)) {
     if (FirstArg.getZExtValue() != 0) {
       Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(),
diag::err_format_strftime_third_parameter,
              FirstArgExpr->getSourceRange());
       return;
     }
   } else if (FirstArg.getZExtValue() > NumArgs) {
     Diag(rawAttr->getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_argument_out_of_bounds,
            "format", std::string("3"), FirstArgExpr->getSourceRange());
     return;
   }

As far as comments are concerned, it would be great to see a citation
link to the appropriate references.  For example, the following link
provides GCC's documentation on format argument attributes:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.3/gcc/Function-Attributes.html#index-g_t_0040code_007bformat_007d-function-attribute-1880

Adding this link in a comment would be helpful so that people know
what this code is trying to implement.  This mirrors documentation
through the rest of clang where we try to cite either the C standard
or the appropriate reference.    Also, please add comments above
checks like "if (FirstArg.getZExtValue() != 0)" where the argument is
not suppose to be zero and *why*.

There is no harm in adding comments that document behavior; for
example, before seeing this code I did not know that the format
attribute supported the __strftime__ and __strfmon__ archetypes.  I
don't think GCC always supported these archetypes, so adding some
comments saying what functionality this adds to the format attribute
would be incredibly useful to other people browsing this code (which
is one of the goals of clang).

Overall, this patch looks very good, and like your previous patches,
it's a great contribution to clang.

Ted