[cfe-dev] Possible clang features

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri Jul 25 17:27:06 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 6:43 PM, John Engelhart wrote:

> Here's a couple of possible ideas.  I'm sending them directly to you
> so you can either put them on the TODO list or toss them based on
> their merits.

Hi John,

Sorry for the late response.  I've CC'ed the cfe-dev list so that
others can chime in as well.

> 1) Stores that cause GC qualifications to be dropped.
>
> This has bitten me so many times.  The gist is to catch things that
> are roughly like:
>
> NSString *contextString = @"someContext";
> void *context = contextString;
>
> Ditto for returning values that drop a GC qualification, like:
>
> char *someFucntion(void( {
> __strong char *buffer = NSAllocationCollectable(4096, NO_SCAN);
> return(buffer);
> }

Adding checks for various GC-related properties and invariants is
something that we think static analysis could excel at.  Several
people have voiced interest in such checks.  Since there are a variety
of GC-related checks, I believe the best way to start implementing
these to is to come up with a list of specific checks to implement and
then go from there.

To build such a task list of various GC checks to implement, probably
the best thing to do is to start filing Bugzilla reports (feature
requests) against the static analyzer. That way myself or anyone else
interested in implementing a check can go to the list, see a complete
specification for the check, and go and implement it.

> 2) Peephole optimization recommendations.
>
> Since you've got a fully parsed program, it should be possible to
> match some generic patterns and offer up some optimization advice.
> I'm thinking of simple things like:
>
> for(NSUInteger x = 0; x < [anArray length]; x++) {
>
> }
>
> The '[anArray length]' can 'obviously' be hoisted out of the loop,
> but the standard compiler can't make that optimization due to the
> dynamic nature of method dispatch.  Your tool, however, can make the
> recommendation that the programmer take a look at it and offer
> something like the following advice:
>
> Possibly rewrite this for() loop as:
>
> NSUInteger anArrayLength = [anArray length];
> for(NSUInteger x = 0; x < anArrayLength; x++) {
>
> }
>
> You could even have different levels of 'optimization
> aggressiveness'.  Another common trick I use is to replace '[anArray
> objectAtIndex:X]' with 'CFArrayGetValueAtIndex(anArray, X)'.  Inside
> loops, this can often be a pretty big performance win.
>
> Heh, actually, some of these things would be ideal inside Shark.  It
> would have easy access to the hotspots, and it could offer this kind
> of 'code cruftifying' optimization advice only in hotspot areas.
>
> I think you get the idea though.  There's definitely a couple of
> 'low hanging fruit' items that should be trivial to implement.
> clang is the perfect place to put them in where they can be
> consistently applied and identified.

This is a great example of automatic code refactoring combined with
static analysis and profiling information.  Performing "unsound
optimizations" by suggesting changes to the source code is something
I'd like to see more of.  It's a little risky, but if done right it
could yield some huge performance improvements for some programs,
especially those written in Objective-C (where as you said the dynamic
nature of the language makes it difficult for the compiler to do the
optimizations you mentioned).

Although we don't have an extensive refactoring library in clang right
now, we do have some pieces to support refactoring, including a
textual code rewriter that can rewrite fragments of the code in place
(preserving comments, macros, etc).  Adding more high-level interfaces
to support refactoring applications like these would be a great
contribution to clang, and my design for the static analysis library
in Clang is to use it for a variety of applications (not just finding
bugs).

This would actually be a really interesting project to work on if you
(or others) were interested.

> [...]
> of the HTML:

> name="NSMutableString_RegexKitLiteAdditions__-
> replaceOccurrencesOfRegex:withString:options:range:error
> :">replaceOccurrencesOfRegex:withString:options:range:error:</a></div>
> expression <span class="argument">regex</span> using <span
> class="argument">options</span> within <span class="argument">range</
> span> with the contents of <span class="argument">replacement</span>
> string after performing capture group substitutions, returning the
> number of replacements made.</div>
> class="selector">replaceOccurrencesOfRegex:</span>(NSString *)<span
> class="selector">options:</span>(<a href="#RKLRegexOptions"
> class="code">RKLRegexOptions</a>)<span class="argument">options</
> span></span> <span class="hardNobr"><span
> class="selector">withString:</span>(NSString *)<span
> class="argument">replacement</span></span> <span
> class="hardNobr"><span class="selector">range:</span>(NSRange)<span
> class="selector">error:</span>(NSError **)<span
>
> It's a bit messy raw, but the basics are there.  CSS is used
> extensively to control the visual aspect.  The 'hardNobr' class is
> '.hardNobr { white-space: nowrap; }', which forces the rendered
> output to not be broken up.  In this case, it's used to keep
> 'logically similar' elements together during word breaking.  It
> looks kinda ugly to break on the space in '(NSString *)'.  :)
>
> Anyways, I think you get the idea.  By understanding the underlying
> syntactical structure, it's much easier to automatically reformat
> things in a pleasing documentation friendly way.  It also means
> someone can declare the method any way they want, with whatever
> whitespace/newline formatting they want, and I can still squeeze
> things back in to a documentation consistent form.
>
> I found this to be of particular use for 'enum' and 'struct' like
> definitions.  As an example, for enums, it becomes trivial to use a
> table for the formating.  The identifier goes in to one table
> column, and the identifier constant goes in to another.  This lays
> out things in a neatly aligned and visually consistent fashion, not
> just a big '<pre></pre>' block and hope for the best.
>
> An unexpected benefit to doing my documentation this way was that
> when 10.5 came out with DocSet integrated documentation, it was just
> a matter of writing up a perl script that extracted the information
> from the database and output it in to a form docset understands.  I
> literally had working, Xcode integrated docset documentation in
> under a day.
>
> Again, this is 'pie in the sky' type of stuff.  It's one of those
> things that you think 'Oh, that's trivially easy!' and you've got
> some rough code in about 20 minutes, or it's big project.  There's
> lots of neat things (like this documentation example) that you can
> do if you have access to an easy to use 'parsed structure' output
> where all the heavy lifting of parsing the file has been done for you.

Your point about 'parsed code export' I believe touches on a larger
issue: people want to build a variety of tools that reason about or
manipulate source code.  This has been hard in C/C++/Objective-C space
because either the frontend technology is intertwined into the
implementation of a larger component (e.g., a compiler) or the ASTs
(or whatever other structured code representation) can not be
persistently stored and used by other clients.

Clang is designed to obviate both issues.  First, Clang is built as a
set of libraries.  The lexer, preprocessor, parser, type checking,
ASTs --- these are all represented as libraries, modules that can be
easily linked into any tool that wants to use them, be it a command
line compiler driver, and IDE, or some other tool.  This design is
intentional, and it follows the same guiding principles as the rest of
LLVM.  By having a library based design people can use the pieces they
want to build their own tools.

We are also working on making Clang's internal representation of its
ASTs persistent.  We have support for pretty-printing and textual
dumping (some of it is not completely implemented, but it's getting
there) so that clients can view a dump of some of Clang's internal
data structures right from the command line.  Other tools that wish to
use information from Clang but not use its libraries directly can
potentially use such output.  You can also define that output in any
way you wish by adding an appropriate ASTConsumer to the clang driver.

We've also built serialization support into Clang to serialize its
ASTs out to disk.  This isn't 100% there, but it will provide the
basis for PCH support in Clang, and the static analyzer will also use
serialized ASTs to perform inter-procedural analysis across files.
Such persistent ASTs could be inserted into a database, sent across a
network connection, etc.

Your example of building an automatic documentation generating system
(e.g., Headerdoc or doxygen) is a great example: I think this would be
a perfect example of a tool that reuses the Clang libraries for a
different purpose other than compilation.  The current ASTConsumer
interface used by the Clang driver would actually be a great place to
start if you wanted to build such a tool, as clients are essentially
streamed the AST of a source file and they can do what they like with
it.  As we bring up more support for persistent ASTs on disk
(especially for use with inter-procedural analysis), a documentation
generating tool could use those serialized ASTs to perform accurate
cross-referencing of function/methods/etc. across files.  This allows
the documentation system to generate really accurate information about
type hierarchies, implementations of classes, macro information, you
name it.

In a similar way, I believe a whole cadre of other tools could be
built.  We are really excited about Clang because we see it as an
enabling technology to build great source-level tools for C/C++/
Objective-C.

BTW, I like the idea of a Clang-based automatic documentation system
so much that I added it to our list of possible projects for people to
do on the Clang website.

- Ted