[cfe-dev] "generic" address space

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:42:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Mon P Wang <wangmp at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> On an architecture that support address spaces,  any builtins that touches
> memory would probably need this support.  Today, I think it's mostly the
> sync functions.  For a specific architecture, one is likely to add
> architecture specific built-ins to support some other operations that
> touches memory and I would like to use the same mechanism (e.g., specialized
> load/store instructions) to do the check.

Ah, I see... I hadn't really considered the arch-specific builtins
part.  In that case, adding some generic machinery might be
appropriate.  That said, I've never actually seen an architecture with
multiple address spaces, so pointers to any documentation would be
helpful.

I don't think we should be abusing existing machinery to handle this
case; therefore, I think there should be a new kind of AST expression
for address-space-overloaded intrinsics.  This makes it explicit that
there is something unusual going on with the types for such intrinsic
calls.

-Eli