[cfe-dev] Is __attribute(weak) supposed to fail?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jul 12 09:31:32 PDT 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Kelly W wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just wondering if ‘__attribute(weak)’ is supposed to fail in the
> Verifier due to it not being supported at this point for Linux?

No, it works fine with llvm-gcc.

> like ‘__attribute(weak);’ for an extern function declaration, so I
> thought I would ask.

The weak attribute does two different things depending on context:

1. on a function with a definition, it allows the body to be overridden
2. on a function prototype, it makes the function "optional" and makes
it resolve to a null pointer if not linked into the app.

The former is llvm::GlobalValue::WeakLinkage, the later
is ..::ExternalWeakLinkage.  Clang probably just has the later
confused with the former.

-Chris