[cfe-dev] Is __attribute(weak) supposed to fail?

Kelly W wilsonkk at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 11 23:07:37 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Just wondering if '__attribute(weak)' is supposed to fail in the Verifier
due to it not being supported at this point for Linux? I checked around with
Google and looked through the code a little.I can see weak support converted
to objc_gc(weak) for Darwin and Solaris, but nothing for Linux. I was
compiling libxml2 and the Verifier didn't like '__attribute(weak);' for an
extern function declaration, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

K.Wilson

P.S. I can just stick in some dummy functions for the weak functions (like
in the test/CodeGen/attributes.c file) and I get past the Verifier but then
llvm-ld gets into an infinite loop.