[cfe-dev] distributed clang patch

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Jul 10 17:05:41 PDT 2008

On Jul 10, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Csaba Hruska wrote:

> This looks for me a completly different project called: integrating
> clang preprocessor to (original)  distcc because except the used
> preprocessor remains the original (command line options, network
> protocol and the whole functionality). This is not bad but i dont
> think that this is the primary task of this project. In my opinion
> the main goal to make as fast and scalable and portable(support
> crosscompialtion) compiler as we can using clang.

Of course our interest is making a great distcc for clang.  My main
meta-point was that by supporting other compilers for subtasks of the
compilation work you can stage more of the implementation without
relying on everything in Clang to be working perfectly.  And despite
Argiris great work on C++ parsing, full support for C++ compilation is
a long way off, so supporting other compilers for this task might be a
huge win for adoption of a new distcc.

Also, it's better to get measurements early on where the performance
issues are because that effects fundamental aspects of the design.  A
rapid evolution of the distcc design with testing and real numbers
will not only make the new distcc both faster and more scalable (per
your goals) but also potentially more stable and usable at an earlier
stage.