[cfe-dev] FW: GSL 'make check' failure

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 18:08:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Kelly Wilson <wilsonkk at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hello Eli,
>
> I am using the newest version of LLVM/clang, as of today. The short does
> look like it is being promoted...and the 'unsigned short' is promoted to
> 'signed int' instead of unsigned.
>
> I have attached the diff between the 'signed int' and 'unsigned int'
> versions of the test_complex_binary function when using -emit-llvm. I also
> attached the complete test_complex_binary function.
[snip]
> So '(un)signed less than' and '(un)signed int to floating point' are the
> only differences.
>
> This function is hard to isolate because of all the macro expansions, so I
> tried to set up a small test case yesterday, with no luck. Let me know if
> you can make something of the attached information and if not I will try to
> isolate something again.
>
> Thanks,
> K.Wilson

Mmm... I'll have to work on this a bit more.  I actually tried
compiling gsl myself; I ran into a bug with LLVM codegen for fabs, but
that doesn't look like the issue you're running into. Everything seems
to work after hacking around that issue.

That said, I compiled with optimizations turned off (llvm-ld
-disable-opt); your issue might actually be caused by an LLVM
optimization pass.

-Eli