[cfe-dev] C++ status report web page

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Jul 2 09:01:48 PDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> Is a page like this really useful at this point?  There's really so
> much missing that clang is basically useless for C++ at the moment.
> Some examples: C++-compatible conversions, constant-folding,
> inheritance, exceptions, overloading, constructors, copy-conversion,
> friends, custom operators, function-style type conversions, labels for
> declarations.
>
> I find it useful, as I'm extremely interested in the progress being
> made. Also, there are many applications which can leverage Clang
> without codegen for these constructs. Pretty printing HTML,
> analysis, AST representations, etc. It's just easier to check this
> type of page than to read all the commit and dev emails.

I strongly agree.  Also, as I pointed out in my other email, it makes
the C++ progress more transparent to non-Clang developers.  Without a
page like this non-Clang developers can only guess about the progress
of C++ support (and most will assume that it doesn't exist at all).

Actively publishing the development progress for key Clang features
also has the added benefit that it will help attract more attention to
the project.  Such attention can bring both new users and
contributors.  Further, if the information is presented in a way that
non-Clang developers can understand, it also means that articles
written about LLVM/Clang on tech-related websites and blogs might be
marginally more accurate.