[cfe-dev] RFC: 2008 LLVM Conference

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Jan 6 13:03:04 PST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 3:23 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:
> It's the new year! So the question on everybody's mind is, of course,
> "Will there be another LLVM conference?". I'm sending this out to
> gauge interest levels. People seemed to like the conference last
> year, and I personally enjoyed meeting the LLVM community. If people
> are interested in having one this year, then we can start the process.

Yes, of course we should do one.

Some things to think about and discuss:

   1. We need to pick a timeframe for it to occur, and a location.
   2. What format should the meeting be?  Should we preserve the
'series of talks with discussion time' format?
   3. This dev mtg will probably be larger than the last, both because
llvm community has grown and also because the clang community has
pulled in a number of new people.  It might be useful to have two
talks going in parallel or have it across two days.
   4. I think it would be great if we were able to help pay for the
airfare for students and other active contributors that otherwise
would not be able to attend, depending on funds.  For example, it
would be great if we could contribute $100-200 towards the ticket for
5 students or something.
   5. I think we should solicit funds from various companies using
LLVM to help sponsor the developer meeting.  A few donations on the
order of $500 - $1000 from a few companies would go a long way to
making the dev mtg happen.  We can offer up logo space on the dev mtg
page for sponsors, for example, or something like that.
   6. We need people to give talks :)

As per last year, I personally think a location in the bay area would
be best for a number of developers.  While I'd love to have it some
place far away and exotic, I don't think that it would be practical.
I will try to see what the funding situation at apple looks like.  I
believe that I can get a donation towards this year's devmtg, but I
need to find out details.

Specific questions for people:

1. Are you willing to help organize the devmtg?   We'll need a webpage
to organize things like last year.
2. Are you willing to give a talk? on what topic?
3. Are you willing to attend?  What topics are your primary interests?
4. Are you or your company willing to make a donation?
5. What timeframe and location is best for you?

For reference, here is last year's page:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2007-05/

-Chris