[cfe-dev] Objective-C Code Generation

fjahanian fjahanian at apple.com
Sun Feb 24 11:14:06 PST 2008

On Feb 24, 2008, at 5:28 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 23 Feb 2008, at 19:06, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>>> I imagine the easiest way of getting this working is to
>>> transform the Objective-C AST into a pure-C AST with calls to the
>>> relevant runtime libraries.
>>
>> This is the way that GCC works, but I don't think it is really the
>> best way.  I'd much rather have the clang codegen module directly
>> produce the LLVM IR for the constructs it needs.  I don't anticipate
>> that this will be a problem for metadata or other objc constructs.
>
> I am not completely sure what would be gained by doing this.
> Unlike C+
> +, every Objective-C construct maps cleanly to a C construct.
> Objective-C objects are C structures, Objective-C message sends are C
> function calls (and methods are just C functions with their pointers
> added to the class structure), and so on.  If work has already been
> done to transform these C constructs into LLVM IR then it seems like
> there would be some significant code duplication to do the same for
> Objective-C.
>
> I don't mind generating LLVM IR (I've already written code which
> generates code targeting the GNU runtime from GNU Lightning), but I'm
> not sure what the benefit would be.

clang has several consumers that rely on integrity of ASTs to reflect
the source language; pretty printer, dumper, rewriter are among them.
In future there will be more. Lowering AST to its c equivalent will
kill the abstraction needed by these consumers. It also makes
objective-c code gen. runtime dependent as Darwin and Gnu runtimes
have different rewuirements in many cases. Of course you can always
write an AST-to-AST translator for objective-c code gen. only. But
this will be just another Consumer and fits well with clang's
architecture.

- Fariborz