[cfe-dev] Objective-C Code Generation

David Chisnall csdavec at swansea.ac.uk
Sat Feb 23 09:55:32 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm interested in working on Objective-C code generation for the GNU
and Étoilé Objective-C runtimes (I've worked on the former and wrote
the latter).  I imagine the easiest way of getting this working is to
transform the Objective-C AST into a pure-C AST with calls to the
relevant runtime libraries.

Presumably someone at Apple will want to add support for their runtime
libraries as well at some point, so having a clean interface to allow
easily switching between the three is going to be important (rather
than the 10,000 lines of runtime-specific, unreadable, code in GCC).
Are there any existing hooks for inserting this abstraction layer?  If
so, can someone point me in the right direction, and if not can
someone suggest a good place to put them?

David