[cfe-dev] VLAs and cast expressions

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Thu Feb 14 11:01:52 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:22 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
> Quick question about VLAs: does the following evaluate the printf?

gcc does not evaluate it.  :-(  After reading up on it, I can't find a
good reason and plenty of reasons why it has to be evaluated.

I've filed http://gcc.gnu.org/PR35198 to get gcc fixed so that it
agrees with clang.  :-)  If they disagree, they'll be able to provide
a DR or pointers to the wording.

I think for all the hairy corners where we find differences between
clang and gcc, we should file bug reports so that in the end, we can
accept close to the same language, at least in pedantic mode.

> Similar case which definitely needs to evaluate the printf:

Agreed.