[cfe-dev] Smart pointer usage in the Parser/Actions

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Fri Dec 19 08:35:13 PST 2008

Folks,

Over the past week or so, there's been some discussion about making
extensive use of smart pointers in the parser (on clang-dev).

Since the change is pervasive (and influences the programming model),
we discussed the topic yesterday (with Apple compiler engineers
working on clang).

We concluded it makes sense to follow-through with the changes. Our
only concern is performance: we don't want to degrade performance of
parsing correct code. For example, parsing system headers remains a
bottleneck. Since system headers don't contain invalid code, it's
important this improvement not degrade performance. Once the change is
complete, it's important we do "A/B comparisons" to measure the
performance for parsing valid code.

Once we have the data, we can decide if the cost is worth the benefit.
We don't anticipate a major slowdown, however given the scope of the
change (and frequency of calling "move"), it's something we need to
verify.

We'd like to thank Sebastian for tackling this project!

snaroff