[cfe-dev] Exception handling on Windows

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Mon Dec 15 06:34:20 PST 2008

Hello, Everyone

> Well, the Clang developer team and the LLVM core developer team overlap,
> but they're not the same. If you want to lobby for Windows exception
> support (be it MinGW's SJLJ implementation or, preferably, something
> compatible with MSVC++) the LLVM core mailing list is probably the
> better place.
It seems, that I need to clarify some things here:

1. LLVM uses dwarf-based EH
2. There is more of less decent support of dw-style exceptions on
x86/linux & {x86,ppc}/darwin targets. There are some outstanding
issues, but hopefully they can be more or less easily solved.
3. Mingw differs alot. It will require some huge refactoring of asm &
dwarf printers to even emit needed dwarf-structures. I started this
project in summer, but it seemed to be quite gross, since it touches
many parts of assembler emission code and I really want to make things
properly, not hacky. So, when I found some more time I hope to finish
this project. This will allow us to have dw-style exceptions on mingw.
4. I'm not planning to spend time on other exceptions schemes, neither
generic sjlj, or quite target-specific SEH. If you will need them -
feel free to design and implement them :)

PS: In any case, llvmdev ML is much better place for this topic.
--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov