[cfe-dev] Exception handling on Windows

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 14:06:16 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Howdy there,
>> I'm big user of the D programming language (www.digitalmars.com/d).
>> Some folks are working hard on an LLVM-based D compiler, but they are
>> saying they're stuck on Windows, because LLVM doesn't support Windows
>> SEH for C++ exception handling.
>>
>> So what does clang do about exception handling on Windows?  Or is
>> clang also not available on Windows?
>>

> Clang completely relies on LLVM when it comes to handling issues like that.
> If LLVM doesn't support Win32 (or Win64) unwinding, then Clang doesn't
> either.

I see.  So clang isn't really usable on Windows right now then?

> (I don't think Clang supports exception codegen at all at the
> moment. At least, it doesn't fully support parsing C++ exception
> constructs.)

I presume this is something the clang devs would like to address eventually?
A C++ compiler without exception handling is hardly a C++ compiler.

A slightly different question -- any idea how many developers are
actively working on clang and how many are actively working on the
core parts of LLVM that clang relies on?

My impression is that LLVM is a pretty big project with some nice
corporate backing.  But maybe the actual amount of activity is less
than I'm thinking...   I'm just surprised that something like
exception handling is working yet.  Or maybe it's just that none of
the devs or corporate backers are interested in Windows?

--bb