[cfe-dev] ConstantArrayType's size is not always of pointer width

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Tue Dec 2 13:13:35 PST 2008

Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Sebastian Redl
> <sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at> wrote:
>
>> Ah, OK. But is using the width of the constant the right thing to do?
>> Shouldn't an array size ultimately be of type size_t?
>>

> It'll ultimately be allocated that way, but casting doesn't really
> seem necessary; we definitely don't want to truncate the size.

So clients of the AST simply must not make assumptions about the width
of array size and array index expressions. That's fine with me, but I've
already fixed three 64-bit bugs in the static verifier that were caused
by this assumption, so perhaps this should be documented very clearly
somewhere.

Sebastian