[cfe-dev] Constant CFString merge

David Chisnall csdavec at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 12:17:29 PDT 2008

On 15 Aug 2008, at 19:59, Daniel Dunbar wrote:

> One problem here is how to handle emission of constant CFStrings when
> not in Objective-C mode.
>
> I don't really want to always have a CGObjCRuntime object around,
> because
> the runtime is likely to want to add data to the module which
> should only
> happen for ObjC files, and conditionalizing this in the
> CGObjCRuntime is
> somewhat gross.

I can't speak for the Apple Runtime, but the GNU and Étoilé runtime
backends only emit stuff for Objective-C features that are used.  If
you compile a file as a .c or .m file you will get the same results.

For Objective-C strings in the GNU runtime, this will emit a hook
into the runtime library because it allows you to replace the
constant string class at load time.  If the NeXT runtime uses a
constant symbol to do this then it should not emit anything Objective-
C specific if you just use the constant Objective-C string method.

David