[cfe-dev] Using Clang for a C Refactoring Tool

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Fri Apr 11 13:41:39 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Patrick Flannery wrote:
> One area which I have not spent enough time thinking about is what
> an interface for refactoring should look like.

UIs are hard and hard to test.  If you take the approach of simple
text in and out, a GUI is free to hook up a pipe to it and a testsuite
is that much more manageable.  Now, since clang/llvm is a library, the
notion of hooking up a pipe is silly, but, conceptually you can think
of the interface that way, and in practice, running the testsuite this
way I think is worthwhile.

Any GUI code should be independent (lay on top of the library
interface for refactoring).