[cfe-dev] clang C++ volunteer

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 01:41:40 PDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:32 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

> "Justin Handville" <uniheliodem at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I understand that you are currently looking for developers to
>> assist with
>> clang, specifically for the C++ front-end and for code generation
>> tasks.
>>
>> I am willing to toss my hat in.  I have some experience with compiler
>> development, mainly in the area of source-to-source compilers.
>> What are the
>> current low-hanging fruit?  There wouldn't by chance be a
>> developer FAQ yet?
>
> Yes, is there an open list of items it would be easier for new
> people to jump
> into?

The C++ support is in an *extremely* early phase right now. There's
only named operators, bool, parsing for C++ casts, and references in
there right now. Some of the things to be done with the C++ casts and
references are:

	- Do semantic analysis for reference initialization.
	- Do semantic analysis for casts.

There's obviously a lot more to do. I would suggest taking small
steps; learning the code base and its architecture by adding smaller
features of the language. As far as a specific list of items, there
isn't any official one. Though I'd start with the two I mentioned
above (I have some code for the second of those, if you'd like to see
it) and proceed from there.

-bw