[cfe-dev] clang builds on Sparc/Linux!

Kelly Wilson wilsonk at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue Jul 24 11:02:43 PDT 2007

Hey Chris,

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Chris Lattner wrote:

>> The two problems with this output. "save -96, %o6, %o6" should read
>> "save %o6, -96, %o6" at both function entry points, and the ".bss"
>> section identifier needs to be removed. THEN GCC CAN ASSEMBLE/LINK
>> THIS
>> AND IT RUNS!!!!! Cool, now you have a new OS/arch pair to run LLVM on,
>> though I may be the only one running this pair ;)

>Very nice!  I'm not sure how the arguments to save got transposed, it
>must be a regression somewhere along the way.  We don't have too many
>people testing sparc :)

This isn't actually an error of transposition for Sparc/SunOS when using
the "cc" compiler. This "save -96, %o6, %o6" (and the .bss section
identifier) work when using SunOS "cc" but not "gcc" under SunOS.

My patches will assume that everyone is using "cc" under SunOS...because
we can't check in llc whether someone will use "cc" or "gcc" to assemble
and link in the future ;)

Thanks,
Kelly Wilson

P.S. I will post patches to llvm-dev.