[cfe-dev] vprintf(3) and "format string is not a string literal"

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon Dec 17 07:19:08 PST 2007

I'm not subscribed to clang mailing list, so not sure if my mail
comes throught. I'm reading the list via gmane.

I guess utilizing gcc  __attribute__((format(...))) would help
here. You could put that at the log

int logmessage(
	int loglevel,
	char const *fmt __attribute__ (format (printf, 2, 3))),
	...) {
   // more code
}

That way the compiler knows that fmt *IS* a format string and
won't need to warn when it is used in vprintf().

Code that calls logmessage() would know that fmt is a printf-like
format string and can check calls to logmessage. This attribute
would even help in the case of call-backs.

BTW: why "char const *" and not "const char*" ?