[Release-testers] [llvm-dev] [3.8 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Elias Pipping via Release-testers release-testers at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 26 07:16:05 PST 2016

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 00:52, Hans Wennborg via Release-testers <release-testers at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Elias Pipping <pipping.elias at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve run into some unexpected problems with the rc3 tarballs for OSX and would like to ask for advice.
>>
>> I’ve repeatedly started from scratch (that’s what’s been taking so long) only to always end up at the same point: When Phase3 is built and the tests are run, I get a hang. Immediately, before a single test is run. Every time. There’s a few lines of the type
>>
>> lit.py: util.py:254: note: using SDKROOT: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk'
>> lit.py: lit.cfg:195: note: using clang: '/Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/Phase3/Release/llvmCore-3.8.0-rc3.obj/./bin/clang'
>> lit.py: util.py:254: note: using SDKROOT: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk'
>>
>> and then silence. I can also manually reproduce this by `cd`ing to
>>
>> rc3/Phase3/Release/llvmCore-3.8.0-rc3.obj/
>>
>> and running `make check-all` from there. The line that I then get (that I otherwise don’t see) is
>>
>>                       -- Testing: 32833 tests, 4 threads --
>> 0% [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
>>
>> beyond which there is no progress. A Ctrl-C tells me
>>
>> File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/queues.py", line 268, in _feed
>> send(obj)
>>
>> here. The actual command that is run can be obtained via
>>
>> % make -n check-all | grep -w lit
>>
>> It is
>>
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -sv
>>
>> followed by a few config files and then large amounts of test directories. If I put them into corresponding arrays, that’s
>>
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -sv ${args[@]} ${tests[@]}
>>
>> Now, it’s clear that not a single test is to blame: There are 28 test directories (the last one being by far the largest, containing about half of all tests) and both
>>
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -sv ${args[@]} ${tests[1,27]} # 17231 tests
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -sv ${args[@]} ${tests[28]} # 15602 tests
>>
>> immediately start to run tests. So it seems to be related to the number of tests or the number of directories. Moreover, it’s related to parallelisation: With
>>
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -j1 -sv ${args[@]} ${tests[@]}
>>
>> the tests do run but with
>>
>> % /usr/bin/python2.7 /Users/pipping/llvm-testing/rc3/llvm.src/utils/lit/lit.py -j2 -sv ${args[@]} ${tests[@]}
>>
>> they don’t. Finally, I tried this, suspecting that the command might simply be too long

> [...]

I, too, was actually convinced it’s my system that’s to blame, when I wrote those lines.

Now I’ve gone through the same process on another mac, which has hardly any software on it (the default, xcode, and cmake, essentially) and hit the very same problem. That one runs the current release of 10.11.

Elias