[Openmp-dev] OpenMP in LLVM Multi-company Telecom Meeting May 20th Cancelled

Narayanaswamy, Ravi via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 19 07:18:25 PDT 2020

Tomorrow's meeting (May 20th)  cancelled due to OpenMP virtual F2F meeting
Next meeting on June 3rd.

Next Meeting :  May 20th

Opens:

  *   -fopenmp-version=45. Should we make 50 the default.
     *   Greg doesn't mind switching to 50 if we have reasonable implementation of 5.0 and want it to be the default for LLVM  11.
     *   Johannes said to be able to make it to for LLVM 11 release we need to make it default soon so it can be tested.
     *   Informal poll by Grep indicated no one was against it.   Greg will be making the change in LLVM
     *   Just before release we can revisit if any issues or objection of reverting to  45.
  *   Johannes has started a Command Center for OpenMP optimizations.  Requested everybody to look at it and provide feedback

              https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OfpkbnF5IYBCF-Oihiclft9cIVudCHAzHEzkLXvqCHA/edit?usp=sharingu

Support fat static library

  *   George uploaded a patch which uses partial linking.  This does not support device only static library.
  *   To also support device only libraries need to extract all the device code from the library and pass it to device compilation.
  *   There are 2 schemes : passing the extracted object as individual objs to device compilation (Intel implementation)

         or creating a device only archive and using it in device compilation (AMD implementation)

  *   The advantage with archives is that they are linked is only when needed instead of object file which are all linked in.
  *   The kernel entry points are referenced from host code and the entire archive has to be linked in on the device

       or have some smartness of using the host target table to bring in only the kernels that are needed.

  *   AMD likes using the existing bundler tools to implement the functionality.
  *   There was concern if the object file were nonstandard then archiver tool cannot be used.

        Hal suggested that if we have a linker plugin then the plugin can be designed to handle any format

  *   Currently the extraction tool does not create a host only archive.
  *   Compiler may not use all the search path a linker uses.

       Hal : Is there a way to extract that code from linker and share that code with compiler and linker.

         We will continue this discussion via email and also next meeting.

Roll Call :
Company
Attendees
8-Jan
29-Jan
12-Feb
26-Feb
11-Mar
25-Mar
8-Apr
22-Apr
6-May
AMD

Greg Rodgers

Ashwin Aji

Jan Sjodin

Ron Lieberman

Sameer Sahasrabuddhe

Rich Bleikamp

Jonathan Chesterfield

Andrey Kasaurov

ANL
Hal Finkel

Michael Kruse

Johannes Doerfert

Ye Luo

ARM
Andrzej Warzynski

Francesco Petrogalli

IBM
Alexandre Eichenberger

Carlo Bertolli

Kelvin Li

Doru

Alexey Bataev

Intel
Andrey Churbanov

Ravi Narayanaswamy

Serguei Dmitriev

Rajiv Deodhar

Lorri Menard

Terry Wilmarth

Rao, Prem

Hansang Bae

Xinmin Tian

Sirram Aananthakrishnan

Jeff Hammond

George Rokos

Alex Duran

Micheal Klemm

HPE
Deepak Eachempati

Sunil Shrestha

Chi Chun Chen

Micron
John Leidel

Nvidia
James Beyer

ORNL
Graham Lopez

Joel Denny

Geoffroy Vallee

Fady Ghanim

Oscar Hernandez

SBU/BNL
Lingda Li

Jose Monlsave

Vivek Kale

Shilei Tian

TU Darmstadt
Lukas Sommer

BrookHavens
Abid Malik

Universidata EAFIT Colombia
Hamilton Tobon Mosquera

TI
Eric Stotzer

Georgia Tech
Lechen Yu

Individual
Stewart Ethan

[Blue Jeans]<https://bluejeans.com>

Johannes Doerfert<mailto:jdoerfert at anl.gov> has invited you to a meeting.

Join Meeting <https://bluejeans.com/544112769?src=htmlEmail>

(Join from computer or phone)

  ________________________________

Phone Dial-in
+1.408.317.9254<tel:+1.408.317.9254> (US (San Jose))
+1.866.226.4650<tel:+1.866.226.4650> (US Toll Free)
(Global Numbers<https://www.bluejeans.com/premium-numbers>)

Meeting ID: 544 112 769

Room System
199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc

Meeting ID: 544 112 769

Bi-weekly meeting to discuss OpenMP support in LLVM.

Want to test your video connection?
https://bluejeans.com/111<https://bluejeans.com/111?ll=en>