[Openmp-dev] OpenMP in LLVM Multi-company Telecom Meeting Minutes July 1st

Narayanaswamy, Ravi via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 1 12:01:41 PDT 2020

Next Meeting :  July 15th

  *   Opens
     *   static member functions in class : Should they be implicitly marked declare target.
        *   Consensus is that they should be marked implicitly without needing to mark the class
        *   Need to bring this up with OpenMP lang committee to get the spec expectation.
     *   Per thread optimization in libomptarget
        *   Shilei wanted to pass thread id to libomptarget to be able to do thread specific optimization
        *   This would require changing all API to pass thread it.
        *   We already have some call to libomp in libomptarget so we should do the same to get thread id.
        *   In the future we may add thread id as an argument so libomptarget can be used independent of libomp by other libraries/applications directly without linking in libomp.
     *   Have informal meeting.
        *   Johannes asked if we need to have informal meeting as sometimes, we are not able to cover all the agenda items.
        *   We shall discuss this in next meeting
     *   Need review link in the agenda.
        *   Greg would like to have review links in the agenda, so attendees can review before meeting
        *   We will discuss this in next meeting.

  *   Status of OpenMP version switch to 50
     *   1st patch has landed.  https://reviews.llvm.org/D81098
     *   3 failures.  Dispatch buffer fails on 5.0 passes with 4.5  https://reviews.llvm.org/D82963
     *   Alexey said there is some non-determinism in 2 of the tests using ompt runtime and other can be runtime failure exposed by 5.0
     *   Fix the test to handle the non-determinist behavior and work with Andrey on the other failure.
     *   Patch in progress to test without any version string so failures can be caught when switching to future openmp version.  https://reviews.llvm.org/D82575

  *   Fat static libraries
     *   Greg presented support for fat static libraries in llvm workshop.
     *   Series of patch
        *   1st patch to fix llvm-link to handle device only archive library has been approved
        *   2nd patch https://reviews.llvm.org/D80816  to change unbundler to unbundle archive to create device specific library
        *   3rd patch to tool chain which looks for device specific library if not found then extract library from fat archive.  Long term we want this in linker.

  *   Async Support
     *   Support for unshackled threads can be found here https://reviews.llvm.org/D77609
     *   Sheilei is still doing some experiments

  *   Libomptarget dependency handling
     *   Changes can be found here  https://reviews.llvm.org/D81989
     *   Dependences works.  Need to add tests to check for correctness.
     *   Sheilei is waiting for review.

  *   Memory support
     *   Memory management work in progress can be found here  https://reviews.llvm.org/D81054
     *   There is an issue that memory is freed while some async kernels are still using them.  This require huge change in libomptarget.
     *   One alternate is to add memory management in plugin and have an environment to control which memory management to use.
     *   For now, deferring memory management in libomptarget. .
  *   Mapper
     *   George has not been able to make any progress.

  *   DeviceRTL
     *   Goal is to convert all code to use C/C++ and OpenMP.  Using pragma omp declare target device_type(nohost) to generate device only routines and memory.
     *   See initial start by Johannes here  https://reviews.llvm.org/D77472

Roll Call :

Company
Attendees
8-Jan
29-Jan
12-Feb
26-Feb
11-Mar
25-Mar
8-Apr
22-Apr
6-May
3-Jun
17-Jun
1-Jul
AMD

Greg Rodgers

Ashwin Aji

Jan Sjodin

Ron Lieberman

Sameer Sahasrabuddhe

Rich Bleikamp

Jonathan Chesterfield

Salyedui Islam

Pushpinder Singh

Raghu

Ethan Stewart

ANL
Hal Finkel

Michael Kruse

Johannes Doerfert

Ye Luo

ARM
Andrzej Warzynski

Francesco Petrogalli

IBM
Alexandre Eichenberger

Carlo Bertolli

Kelvin Li

Doru

Alexey Bataev

Intel
Andrey Churbanov

Ravi Narayanaswamy

Serguei Dmitriev

Terry Wilmarth

Rao, Prem

Hansang Bae

Xinmin Tian

Sirram Aananthakrishnan

Jeff Hammond

George Rokos

Alex Duran

Micheal Klemm

HPE
Deepak Eachempati

Sunil Shrestha

Chi Chun Chen

Micron
John Leidel

Nvidia
James Beyer

ORNL
Graham Lopez

Joel Denny

Geoffroy Vallee

Fady Ghanim

Oscar Hernandez

SBU/BNL
Lingda Li

Jose Monlsave

Vivek Kale

Shilei Tian

TU Darmstadt
Lukas Sommer

BrookHavens
Abid Malik

Universidata EAFIT Colombia
Hamilton Tobon Mosquera

TI
Eric Stotzer

Univ of Novi Sad
Stefan Stipanovic

Georgia Tech
Lechen Yu

THD
Peter Faber

Individual
Stewart Ethan

U of Illinois
Hashim Sharif

Rice
John Mellor-Crummey

Valentin Clement

Agenda :

-        Roll Call

-       Opens

                - static member functions in class : Should they be implicitly marked declare target.

       -     Status of failures when switching OpenMP version to 50

-       Support fat static library

       -     OpenMP optimization command center (Johannes)

-     Development Activity

-        Async support

-        User-defined mapper function status

-        OpenMP IRBuilder status

        -     Automatic detection of target pragmas without user command line -fopenmp-targets=

-        DeviceRTL redesign to support sharing code

-        OpenMP feature tracking status ( https://clang.llvm.org/docs/OpenMPSupport.html)

-        LTO for fat binary linking

[Blue Jeans]<https://bluejeans.com>

Johannes Doerfert<mailto:jdoerfert at anl.gov> has invited you to a meeting.

Join Meeting <https://bluejeans.com/544112769?src=htmlEmail>

(Join from computer or phone)

  ________________________________

Phone Dial-in
+1.408.317.9254<tel:+1.408.317.9254> (US (San Jose))
+1.866.226.4650<tel:+1.866.226.4650> (US Toll Free)
(Global Numbers<https://www.bluejeans.com/premium-numbers>)

Meeting ID: 544 112 769

Room System
199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc

Meeting ID: 544 112 769

Bi-weekly meeting to discuss OpenMP support in LLVM.

Want to test your video connection?
https://bluejeans.com/111<https://bluejeans.com/111?ll=en>