[Openmp-dev] amdgcn / deviceRTL status update

Jon Chesterfield via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 20 18:58:14 PST 2020

Hello OpenMP,

The downstream aomp (roughly our llvm fork, on github) version of the
amdgcn deviceRTL is now self contained. Well, it depends on clang
supporting the HIP language, but not on any runtime libraries. It took a
little while to stamp out the last few references to amdgpu libraries but
they're all gone now.

There are a couple of (just opened) patches that fill in some missing
symbols for llvm master's amdgcn deviceRTL, with another couple to follow.
A crude version of malloc is available now or we can wait for a cleverer
version that another team is working on. My next downstream task is to
improve the locks implementation.

One proviso, hip compiler support is not quite sufficient to build
everything from C++ source today. So aomp has some clang patches and some
IR source files. I'll need to do some upstream compiler work shortly.

My goal here is a self contained deviceRTL that compiles with clang master.
Just link against openmp device code and run. This leaves the host plugin -
which I think is being improved by a colleague - and clang support
remaining to wire source code to the runtime.

I have a mashup of the ubuntu provided amdkfd driver + upstream deviceRTL +
the missing symbols above + aomp host runtime + aomp clang passing about
half our tests locally. Arithmetic on a gpu, no closed source components in
the stack. I'd like to see the descendent of this shipping with linux
distros.

Thanks all for making this possible

Jon