[Openmp-dev] [RFC]Requiring C++14 for the OpenMP subproject

Jon Chesterfield via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 11 02:56:48 PST 2020

> Hmm, so you propose creating a dependency from the OpenMP runtime to
> the LLVM libraries? Which classes would you want to use, probably some
> of the ADTs? Does any of the other runtime libraries (libc++,
> libc++abi, compiler-rt, sanitizers) already do this? IIRC libc++abi and
> LLVMSupport share some demangling code, but that is manually copied.

I am unaware that each subproject reimplements code to avoid a dependency
on llvm. My first reaction is "surely not", but it's not totally
implausible. I will look into this.

ADT is the obvious contender for reuse. There will also be a lot of OS
wrappers somewhere. File IO, dlopen, probably memory allocators.
Essentially all the stuff a big cross platform C++ project grows over time.
In the case of anything hitting the filesystem, also treacherously
difficult to get right across platforms.

There's an open patch against libomptarget that uses dlopen with a
hardcoded path length. Opt loads shared libraries on windows afaik so
probably has a robust wrapper around dlopen, so I'd start there.

Jon