[Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 30 14:16:25 PST 2019

Systems that I've seen will funnel all submitted PRs into a single queue
which *does* guarantee that the trial builds are against HEAD and there
are no "later commits" that can screw it up. If the trial build passes,
the PR goes in and becomes the new HEAD.
By the time a PR reaches the front of the build queue, it might not apply
cleanly, in which case it gets bounced just like a failed build would.

But this would be a radical redesign of the LLVM bot system, and would
have to wait until we're done with the GitHub migration and can spend
a couple of years debating the use of PRs. :-)
--paulr