[Openmp-dev] Interoperability with C++ coroutines

Jeff Hammond via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 11 09:00:44 PST 2019

The OpenMP specification does define interoperability with any other
threading model.  Implementations may provide interoperability of some
variants, which is derived from the use of OS threads (e.g. POSIX threads)
as the foundation for OpenMP and other models.

If your use of coroutines is completely distinct from OpenMP, it is
possible that things will not break, but I can imagine many thinks could go
wrong if you try to use them together.

One possible way to reason about interoperability is to treat coroutines as
structure goto and see what the OpenMP specification says about
goto/longjmp, but this is at best a necessary but insufficient to
understand the interaction of coroutines and OpenMP.

Jeff

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:03 AM yongkee kwon via Openmp-dev <
openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the latest runtime and compiler for OpenMP interoperable with C++
> coroutine TS? For example, what if I have a coroutine along with
> work-sharing directives?
>
> I remember there was a discussion in OpenMP Interoperability language
> subcommittee and I'd like to ask about the current status
> for Interoperability with C++ coroutine TS.
>
> Thanks,
> Yongkee

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com