[Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

C Bergström via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 28 10:18:20 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> This is probably because I'm not aware of the details, but it was claimed in
> this thread that liboffload can target Xeon Phi and Nvidia GPUs. Adding a
> new library that the compiler has to be aware of has to bring significant
> benefit.
> So it is not clear to me yet why the compiler should target two different
> runtime libraries that seems to have large chunk of overlapping
> functionalities.
> On a high-level view, these libraries seems to have the same goals with
> respect to what they provide to the compiler.
>
> Can you elaborate?

(Ignore this please)

To butt in with a peanut gallery comment - I suspect it's because
liboffload is really just providing a bare set of non-portable API
mostly tailored to OpenMP4. Having it support any other programming
model is probably going to take real work on the part of refactoring
"liboffload". (*cough* *cough* good design)

In the end I pessimistically suspect each programming model wanting
inclusion will reinvent the wheel and make the same argument each
time. So we'll end up with lots of libraries doing mostly the same
thing, duplicate code/support.. etc