[Openmp-dev] [lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

Robinson, Paul via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 28 10:03:50 PDT 2016

Somebody proposed a time-based-version bitcode compatibility policy.
IMHO the easiest to remember would be "X.Y supports back to (X-1).Y"
but opinions vary (e.g. 3 years, where my idea would mean 5 years) and
nobody has tried to nail one down.

Of course actually removing an auto-upgrade feature means having to do
the archaeology to figure out when each piece was introduced, and then
how to disentangle it cleanly.  I'm not aware that these things are
identified by version, other than by researching the commit history.
With the old scheme, you'd just rip it all out at 4.1 without having
to worry about when each piece was introduced.  With the time-based
scheme there's a higher barrier to removing the old code.
--paulr