[Openmp-dev] [lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

Hans Wennborg via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 16:57:23 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM Hans Wennborg via lldb-dev
> <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Extreme how?  What do you mean by “extreme"?
>>
>> Sorry, that might have been a poor choice of wording.
>>
>> I just meant that change seems to have a much greater magnitude than
>> the other proposals. I realize that's sort of the point, to make the
>> change clear to users, but instinctively it feels wrong -- like
>> cheating by skipping 36 versions :-)
>

> Eh, if we're switching to a completely unrelated versioning scheme, it
> doesn't seem completely unreasonable.
>
> We could also count how many time-based releases we have had and use that...
>
> :: shrug ::
>
> I think counting from 4 or counting from 40 are all fine ways to number
> releases.

This is what I arrived at after my weekend of thinking about version numbers:

While there's been many good arguments for doing something different
and revising our versioning scheme, I really just want to bump the
number with the least amount of work possible.

When we branch for 3.9, my plan is to bump trunk to 3.10, and then
focus my attention on getting 3.9 into a good state and shipping it.

After the branch, if someone wants to promote trunk to 4.0 because of
a feature, or because the 3-series is "done", go ahead. If someone
wants to spearhead getting us onto a scheme where we increment major
for each release, that's fine too, but I'm not going to drive it.

Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion. Hopefully this
result is not too disappointing.

Cheers,
Hans