[Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

Cristianno Martins via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 21:21:24 PDT 2016

Hello there,

First, I would like to say that I don't have any strong opinions on this
matter: as mostly an user of LLVM, my basic concern is for me to be able to
identify which version is the newest and configure it as easily as
possible. That being said, I have a question about LLVM's versioning
strategy: is it possible for other tools (including the ones LLVM depend
on) to become broke or annoyingly buggy just because a bad versioning
scheme was put in place?

Just to give some context to this question, I've been using OS X for a
while, and I confess I was pretty annoyed when OS X 10.9 was followed by OS
X 10.10. Not at first, no: I didn't realize this would have any impact on
my workspace until I had to compile some code, and CMake kept stopping just
because it recognized that I was using an older version of the OS (emphasis
on *older*). It is funny when you realize that 10.10 should actually be
interpreted as less than 10.9, and CMake was falling for it, which was a
wrong behavior of the tool, I admit, but the weird OS versioning scheme was
the main cause of this issue. Of course this problem can be easily arranged
by setting up some extra environment variables to tell CMake to target OS X
10.9 instead, but that was a very irritating behavior and only happened
because a bunch of people (from CMake, and, then, from OS X's development
team) thought comparing versions directly shouldn't be a problem. Besides,
every one of these small details end up being some extra steps a new user
need to follow to be able to use a tool, some of which could be easily
avoided.

I confess I didn't look into this matter after that, and still today, on OS
X 10.11, I'm targeting version 10.9 on all my CMake runs on OS X -- thus, I
don't know if this bug was fixed or not. However, as I'm starting to see a
very similar pattern happening with LLVM on this thread, and I thought I
could contribute with the discussion: did someone check if naming the next
version "3.10" would have any impact on a production system?

--
Cristianno Martins
<cristiannomartins at hotmail.com>