[Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

Robinson, Paul via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 16 10:41:25 PDT 2016

| Note that 81 > 8, so those examples would still work.
Right, but also 81 > 9 so that example would not work, if you don't understand how the project does version numbers.

As different projects work by different rules, I guess the interpretation of version numbers by other tools would have to be project-dependent.  So, all that matters is that LLVM asserts what rule it will follow (and then actually follows it!).  The Wikipedia quote seems to suggest that whole-number tuples (e.g.: 3.8, 3.9, 3.10) are more common than decimal strings (e.g.: 3.8, 3.81, 3.9) and so we should not be afraid to use tuples.
--paulr