[Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] What version comes after 3.9? (Was: [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers)

Richard Smith via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 01:32:30 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Hal Finkel via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]

We're talking about version numbers for the entire LLVM project here, which
encompasses a lot more than LLVM IR, and for many parts of which LLVM IR is
utterly irrelevant. I'm not convinced that tying version numbers to
backwards-incompatible changes to IR is reasonable any more, and it doesn't
seem hard to explicitly document the oldest version with which we are
compatible (in fact, we need to do that regardless, whether we say it's
"the same major version" or "everything since 3.0" or whatever else).

Given that our releases are time-based rather than feature-based, I don't
see a distinct major / minor version being anything other than arbitrary,
so I'd suggest we take 4.0 as our next release, 4.1 as the first patch
release on that, 5.0 as the next release after that, and so on.

 -Hal